Saturday, September 8, 2012

Imaginary Friends

I joined UW 8+ years ago when I was planning my wedding to Hubs. I wasn't overly involved, but wedding-obsessed, it was fun to peek in at other people's planning and share ideas of my own. I got to know a few women and follow along as they got married. Eventually I was able to share my own wedding story with them. UW eventually closed, and I moved on. Back in 2006, however, I received a random e-mail to let me know that these people had found a new home at MLW, and I was invited to come along. 

Eager to reconnect, I joined the site, and made a lot of friends - both from UW and new members. I was no longer planning my own wedding, but I loved to help out other brides with their planning, and watching other people's plans and dreams come true. We dreamed about dresses and venues, flowers, and cake. Wedding stories and pictures were shared, and friendships were built. That October I started my first life-journal. I also learned that I was pregnant with Princess. Many of these women found out about my pregnancy before some of my "real-life" friends and family. I chronicled my pregnancy and the first few years of Princess' life in my journal, and some of these women became her "special aunties" and "nana". They were "there" for her first steps, her first words, and a whole host of other special occasions. We received gifts and cards from these women, and the world just seemed a little smaller through this community.

Some of the women I knew beforehand, but became closer through the site. Some of these women made the transition to "real-life" friends (I skype periodically with one friend in Minnesota, and Princess' BEST and oldest friend is the daughter of one of these women). Some women I have never talked to face-to-face, but still count them as friends, and even a "cyber-hip".

It's hard to explain  to other people who these imaginary friends are. How do you explain a love for someone you've never "met"? But we have seen each other through good times and bad - through weddings and divorces; births and losses; pranks and trolls. They have been "there" for the birth of both of my children, as well as my miscarriage. They hold a special place in my heart. They are not just strangers on the internet, they are my friends.

This past week we learned of the loss of an actual member of MLW. We lost a member of our community. He was a husband (to another of our members), a son, and a dear friend to many. I didn't know him well, but I watched the love story between he and his wife unfold. We knew of their struggles and their joys, and we knew of their love. He was a great friend to many in our little world on the forums, and our community is feeling the loss. My heart is broken for his wife, his family, and his friends. It has also reminded me of how amazing this community is, and how much these people mean to me.

I love my imaginary friends.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post...I agree 100%. It is hard to explain but the connection is for sure there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca! It's a bond that's indescribable.

    ReplyDelete