Saturday, April 13, 2013

She Has My Feet.


"She has your feet". I blinked twice. Not totally sure if this is a good or a bad thing. I had a strong point and was fantastic at soft shoe, but my ankles were never loose enough for hard shoe and all the stretching in the world never made it better.

"No, it's a good thing!" both my (ex) dance teachers assured me.

It's something I've been waiting to hear for more than 8 years. Ever since I stopped dancing. I've re-entered the world - but not as a dancer, as a dance mom.

Princess has been dancing now for almost 3 years with my old school, with my old teachers. In just 2 weeks, she'll be at her first competition, literally next door to where I used to compete. I am so freaking excited. I am excited for myself, and for her. To say I'm not living vicariously through her at all would be a lie - I didn't start dancing until I was much older, and while I did well, I don't think I had the potential she's showing. But what brings me the most joy is not seeing her perfect a step, or perform at St. Patrick's Day. It's not how cute she looks with her hair in curls or in a school dress. It's the smile on her face. It's the beaming smile she has, and the pride that she has when she dances. It's the girl who danced several times in front of crowds of more than a hundred at Heritage Festival, and cried when we had to leave (after being there for more than half a day). She might miss steps, or forget to point, but she is having fun, and that makes me so happy. I love watching her make up dances, and try to dance along to the girls in "Jig" or "Strictly Irish Dancing".

Of course I love when people come up tell me that she must have gotten it from me. Of course I'm proud when she dances well, and points her toes perfectly. Of course I love to watch her perform her little heart out and be applauded. Of course I hope she blows everyone out of the water at this feis. Most of all, however, I love that SHE loves something that I loved too. I love that she begs me to practice with her EVERY DAY, and I love that I usually have to put a time limit to it (usually half an hour max). I love that she counts down the hours to dance class every week, and is hoping she'll be asked to join in on the dance camp again this summer (she got the opportunity to join the big kids with a team-dance camp).

If I have to hold the title of Dance Mom, I am so happy that I get to be hers!




I am also happy that she has my feet. And that apparently it's a good thing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment