Thursday, April 4, 2013

Silent Treatment

First, I need to get something off my chest.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have laryngitis. I lost my voice completely Monday night. Today (Thursday) is the most I've been able to speak, which was still limited to a 10 minute phone call, a 1.5 hour excursion, and brief directions given to the kids here and there throughout the day. Otherwise, this momma's mute.

I don't do mute.

I need to talk. I need noise, I need conversation. Even when Princess was a baby my days were spent talking to her, singing to her, and reading to her. It's no wonder her language development is where it's at now! Usually our days are filled with conversations and questions and general silliness, but I have been without a voice for the last 3 days and it's driving me crazy!!! I cannot ask the kids to get dressed or explain to them why they can/cannot do/have things. I cannot bargain, or request or direct. I cannot call them into the kitchen, or respond to their calls to me. 

And yet, it might be the best/coolest thing to happen to our family in awhile... We have had to completely shift our way of communicating with me. I have had to sign/pantomime (Princess is JUST on the verge of reading, but not enough to be reliable) and the kids have had to learn to adapt and pay more attention. And it's working! Tuesday morning started with a pep talk from my husband (they were up early... whee...) which prepped the kids that I was going to be without words. The last 3 days we've gone though the regular routine, I've also taken them out to places like Ikea and Costco without issue. I've adopted the clapping pattern Princess is used to from her school, and they've both been really receptive. Even Tobes, who is in the midst of the "Terrible Twos", doesn't take long to remember that I am without voice and most of the time seeks me out versus calling or crying for me where he is. They're having fun playing charades with me (and attempting to pantomime answers back) and without being able to carry conversations, the attempts to bargain or question have been kept to a minimum, and usually satisfied with a brief whisper in their ears!!

My husband has suggested I continue this practice as it seems to be getting great results.

Seriously, I don't do mute.

2 comments:

  1. Can you speak up? I can't hear you.

    ;)

    I'm glad you aren't mute anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both, sista-friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete