Thursday, June 25, 2009

What's This?!

When I was pregnant with Tara, I was paranoid. How much of this little baby's development is based on genes, and how much is based on environment? If I missed a meal (usually because it spent only a short time in my stomach thanks to morning sickness) or forgot my prenatals, did that mean she would be at a deficit later? How could I foster a love for learning that her father and I share? Would she know to question things, love to read books, and have a big imagination?

Any of those doubts have flown out the window. Tara is the inquisitive, intelligent little girl I always dreamed of.

Her latest phase, although annoying at times, might be my favorite. Her most used phrase right now is "What's this?!", usually said with wonder and awe. It could be about anything - who we've passed on the street, something she sees in a store, or on TV. I do my best to supply the simplest, but truest answer, which is responded to with "Oh yes! __________!" as though I've simply reminded her of what it is.

Sometimes we play this game all day! But it's how she's learning about the world around her, and I'm happy to take part!

No comments:

Post a Comment