Saturday, July 4, 2009

Why I Love Weddings...

It should come as no surprise to anyone by now that I love weddings. I heart them bad. I am a community leader on a wedding board, I would LOVE to be an event (wedding) planner someday, and my heart skips a beat when I get an invitation in the mail.

Why do I love them so much? I don't think I even totally knew until today.

Today I was at the wedding of a choir friend, and her sister did the sermonette, and it felt like she was speaking for me! I can't totally explain it, nor can I remember her words exactly to write them down here, but I'm going to try to list to you guys why I heart weddings.

1) On the spiritual plane, I love the what the Bible calls marriage to be. We are called to love each other like Jesus loves the church. Greg and I as husband and wife are called to be God's light to the world, and to show the world God's love to us! Greg and I are to love one another for who we are, where we are, and what we are. We are to devote ourselves to each other's wellbeing, wants, and needs.

2) I don't know if there's anything more romantic!! The entire day is centered around 2 people who are madly in love, who have decided to devote their lives to one another! Everyone is wearing pretty clothes, decked out in their finest, and the whole place is filled with love!!

3) I love the idea of marriage! I am in wonder and awe of the idea of two people chosing to spend the rest of their lives together, for better or for worse. The vows are so personal and so beautiful, if they're written by the couple, or something more "standard". It's a promise to be taken so seriously, and yet it's such a romantic notion!

4) Weddings are such a transforming day. If you think about it, it's witnessing the birth of a marriage. Two individuals start the day (usually apart), primping, preparing, nervous and excited. The ceremony begins, and they meet each other. Through the ceremony, no matter what elements are there, at some point the couple say their vows, promising themselves to one another. And then, the proclimation, and they are married! Two lives become one, two souls become one (if that's what you believe), and a marriage is born. Then it's time to party ;)

Something that did stick in my mind from today (the reception speeches) was that Marriage is a verb. It is something you do, not something you are. Greg and I take our marriage very seriously. We spent over a year preparing ourselves for it (I'm talking beyond wedding planning) and I think every wedding we attend is just another reminder of what we are called to do, and who we are called to be.

Not all weddings are equal, but big or small, elaborate or simple, as long as the couple (and family and friends) is serious about their marriage, it's the most beautiful event I could have the honor of being a part of :)

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree on all points, particularly loving attending weddings cuz they remind me of the committment Nathan and I made on our wedding day.
    I love that it brings all those wonderful memories back!
    Getting a fancy date out of the deal is great too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best blogs ever! I couldn't agree more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come I didn't know you had this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I'm lame and didn't update you Trin? I'm sorry!!

    Thanks Amanda and Stacie! (and I totally agree, Amanda, an excuse for a fancy date also rocks!)

    ReplyDelete