Sunday, April 15, 2012

Meet the Chatterboxes

Meet Mr. and Little Miss Chatterbox. Aren't they adorable??
I knew it was only a matter of time until it happened. Princess has always been a talker. I have no idea where she gets it from ;) It's incredible and fun, unless you're in a hurry, are trying to focus on a task, or are at a wedding/baptism/anywhere where chatter isn't incredibly appropriate at the moment (though she's very quiet about it, and I know that asking her to not talk for 45 minutes, I might as well be asking her to hold her breath as well). But she's excellent company. Most of the time the chatter is because she's excited about something, or asking really interesting questions. Sometimes it's just flat out amusing. Sometimes it's ironic (like interrupting me no less than 8 times during tonight's story, Little Miss Chatterbox). But her extensive vocabulary and inquisitive mind makes for great companionship during the day!

Tobes was a late talker (in comparison to Princess, though she had a massive vocabulary pretty early on), but was a definite babbler. Again, totally adorable, though less-so when it was in the backseat of the car while you're trying to find an address and have both children attempting to talk over one another. It started out with babbles while he found his voice, but it wasn't long until you could tell he was interacting with us through babble - he looked at our eyes, gestured, and changed his tones throughout "conversation".

Well, now Tobes has a vocabulary. It's incredible how much it's exploded over just the past week, let alone the past month. He's been saying "Mama" for awhile now, and then used "yup!" to help us discern his points and grunts. But talking really started when he said "nuh-nuh" about a month ago (maybe a month and a half? I have it written in his baby book), and now about 40 words come to mind currently, including names of his sister and his best friend, as well as collections of words like "I don't want to" (which I count as a 4 syllable word as opposed to a sentence because he doesn't use any of those words independently... And he copied it directly from Princess, attitude and all). He now uses babble to fill-in spaces in sentences (like "babblebabblebabble living room" is him asking if he can eat in the living room), and this past week he's started to make REAL sentences, like "More apple please"! It's so awesome how quickly this has all happened in the last month or so! He's asking for things, answering us, but he's also just trying to strike up conversations (like laughing at the TV, then turning around to one of us and saying "Oh Binoo!")

As much as it drives me a little batty sometimes (my life is just never quiet), I love all the things Princess and I talk about, and all the conversations she and I have. I love the questions she asks, and the hilarious things that come out of her mouth sometimes. I almost cried the first time Tobes called Princess' name (*sob*), and I am SO excited to have similar interactions with Tobes. I'm excited for him to join in with conversations over dinner (not that he doesn't now, but it will be exciting when he becomes easier to decipher). And I'm excited for the first time he says "I love you" to us, especially Princess. She frequently tells him she loves him, I know it will make all our hearts melt when he first says it back.

I just might never have a moment of peace again... And I'm ok with that. Mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment