Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

:glomp:

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies out there - either those who are currently, or soon-to-be! In just a few weeks, I celebrate my 5th anniversary of motherhood - the birth of my firstborn, my Princess (my little prince, Tobes, came 3 years and 2 days later!)

Last year (well, last June) I reflected on my first 4 years of mommyhood- what I have learned, and the mommy I have become. I had gone through some major changes in my life in the years prior, both by choice and by force, but all of it made me a stronger woman, mother, and brought my family even closer together. This year has been far less dramatic, thankfully, but I continue to evolve as my babies do as well. I'm no longer the mom to an infant, or a toddler and a newborn. Princess starts school in just 4 months (*sob*) and Tobes stopped being an infant a year ago! I read that post again, and it all still holds true.

This year, I look to the future. These are the exciting adventures my family will face in the upcoming months.
  • School for Princess means that time at home with her is just that much more precious, and can still be spent playing with friends, but also giving her time to just play with her brother, and with me and Daddy as well.
  • School for Princess will give Tobes a chance to be an only child for a few hours every afternoon. I am the oldest of 3, and was 5 before I had a sibling, giving me alone time with my parents for all those years. I'm excited to give Tobes that opportunity as well. I am excited to spend 1-on-1 time with my son, especially in these early years. I'm excited to get to know him in this way.
  • Tobes is a little person now in a way he's never been before. He wants to get dressed on his own. He wants be independent. He has favorite TV shows (we're still working on cutting down screen time in our home, but it'll be easier now that summer's here), he has favorite books, favorite songs, and favorite games. His ability to talk now allows him to express all his favorites, and it's awesome to watch him grow in this regard. But his independence also means that we have to negotiate allowing him to have some of his favorite choices, but also keeping with what's appropriate for him and our family, which also means respectfully guiding his behavior and actions as needed.
  • School also means the true test of our family values in regards to education. A large number of my mom friends homeschool. We have chosen not to for a variety of reasons (which I can give later, in a different post), but one thing we strongly believe as a family is that learning does not start, or end in the classroom. We believe that our children can get exposed to a variety of ideas in the classroom that they might not otherwise, but it is up to Hubbyman and I as parents to shape their morals and values. At the end of the day, Princess's education is our responsibility, and no one else's.
  • My work is taking off (I have a half-written post on that as well), which is taking me out of the home more than I imagined (though still no more than once or twice a week). The kids get Grammie-time, and love it, but it's not what my family initially intended for me to do (what a complaint - I'm too popular at work!) so it's something we'll be navigating and keeping in the back of our minds in the upcoming months as our family goes through these next milestones!
I love being a mom. I've always wanted to be one. But beyond just being "a" mom, I love being their mom. I am so blessed to have Princess and Tobes in my life. I am so fortunate to call them mine, and I am so honored to be entrusted with them. I can't believe that in just a few short weeks, I'll be celebrating the birth of my 2 amazing babies. Last year I said
Motherhood is, at the end of the day, about raising a person. Someday Princess and Tobes will be contributing members of society, and I hope that my family's values and beliefs are instilled in them. I hope they are happy, productive people. I hope they never question God's love for them, and I hope they never question our love for them. 
And even in just this last year, I can see the progress we've made. They both make me so proud in so many ways on a daily basis, despite the frustration I feel sometimes that comes along with raising 2 spirited, passionate, independent, awesome children. I can't wait to see what the next year brings.

Happy Mother's Day, dear friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment