Thursday, May 17, 2012

Building Summer Memories


Winter used to be my favorite season. There's something so cozy about the snowfall. I love Christmas for a million reasons, and my birthday also falls on the Winter Solstice, which I also love to celebrate (my birthday, that is!) But I've grown to love summer. I love the sunshine, and the flowers in bloom. This Irish gal is used to bathing in sunscreen anyway (I'd rather have my porcelain complexion than skin cancer!) and I don't mind the bugs... to much ;)

But most of all summer means celebrating the birth of my babies, who were born just 2 days apart! My favorite summer memories now include snuggling my newborns on the couch, and taking them outside to play in the shade on our lawn. My favorite summer memories are going for walks with them, watching them take their first steps (both took them around their first birthdays), and explore their new world! And so the summer also means some awesome birthday celebrations!

This year we're having 2 parties for the kids. At the beginning of the month we'll have a backyard BBQ with our nearest and dearest friends to celebrate the children together. Princess will be 5, Tobes will be 2, and most of the friends that they have right now are family friends - Hubbyman and I are friends with their parents, and all the kids are friends with each other. It's going to be one big celebration of my babies, and all those who have been a part of our lives for the past 5 years. I've pinned an insane number of food ideas, drink ideas, and the activities will revolve around the backyard and summertime.

But this year will also be slightly different. This year Princess is helping to plan her own, second party - a tea party with a bunch of her little girl friends (and a few brothers here and there ;)). We are doing scones, raspberry butter, and Devonshire cream (if I can find a good duplicate recipe - I'm open to suggestions by the way!) as well as pink lemonade and strawberry iced tea. We'll have cookies and cupcakes, play games and have a few activities as well :) It'll be something that Princess can have on her own (Tobes isn't yet old enough to care) with her own specific friends, doing her own activities.

I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. hi erie!your children and your home look so lovely. i can't believe you have a pear tree. yay! i love when there are blossoming trees in the spring. we just planted a lilac tree in our yard. it makes me happy. love, jenny:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenny!! We went to the greenhouse last weekend to search for more flowers and trees for our yard and it was a great debate - do we go for flowers, or fruit?? We wanted a cherry blossom tree because I LOVE how they look, but ultimately we decided on an apple tree - soft pink blossoms, but fruit that the kids will eat on it's own, or I can bake with :) And it gets pollinated by our pear tree!

      Yay for planting a lilac tree!! :) I need to catch up on your blog - I've been reading the Forest of Robots one too ;)

      Delete