Friday, August 19, 2011

New House, New Dreams

Thank you Anne Taintor!
Another house post, I know. But this has really encompassed my entire life this month. Today's post is brought to you by two gigantic updates from just today!!

First off, it's completely official - our house is sold. We just got the papers in saying that all conditions have been removed. We were on the market for just twelve days, had six showings, plus two repeat showings. We had an offer on the table Saturday afternoon, signed by Saturday night, and now all conditions have been removed. It's done!

Secondly, we've got a conditional offer on a new place!! And it's completely not what I expected! We were looking for newer houses (we like the style), which led us to a few different areas. The biggest problem was space. The houses were big, but the backyards were tiny, and new houses tend to be in new developments, which are, well, new. The schools, and even parks and playgrounds tend to be further away.

Instead we found an older home in an older neighborhood. Eight blocks away from the local school and community league, just down the street from a park. The back yard is HUGE and private, and the house had major upgrades!! It has a sitting room, diningroom, breakfast nook, HUGE kitchen, livingroom, fully developed basement (though there's room for upgrades down the road there) three bedrooms, and two and a half bathrooms (one being an ensuite).

It's a major upgrade all-around! We are SO excited to move into it!

***

On that note, I have such big dreams for ME in this new house. I am domestically challenged. Try as I might, the running joke is that I don't cook, and I don't clean. But I grow cute babies! And between me and my husband, we have a pretty great balance of working both outside and in the home, and raising said cute babies.

This might not be an issue for some, but for me, it is. It's not an issue because Greg shouldn't be helping out. I sung my husband's praises on Father's Day, because I felt he deserved it, but I expect him to be an active member of the family.

It's an issue for me because I always wanted to be a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), and I've always wanted to be Little Susie Homemaker. I've always wanted to maintain an amazing home for my family, and to cook delicious meals, and craft and sew and raise babies. I do the latter three quite well, but it's the first two I want to work on. This has not been the first time I've attempted at making a change in this area. But maybe a new house will help to inspire me. And I want to host more playdates, parties, and gatherings in my home. I always felt too far out of the way in this house, and the layout wasn't ideal for larger groups. But for those who know me, you can only imagine how excited I am to host family Christmas this year ;) (For those who don't, I LOVE Christmas, and a few years ago I pulled out all the stops - including personalized, embroidered, handmade bird ornaments for each guest). I am excited for backyard barbecues, birthday parties, and just having friends and family over for dinner. I have some great hostesses in my group of friends, and I have been jealous. I would love to join the cool kids in that club.


I think this new house deserves some new-house resolutions! I have 35 days until possession of the new house to think of some ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment