Monday, January 16, 2012

The Trade-Off.

Hubby has traveled far and wide. His latest trip brings him to Dubai.
Hubs is gone again. This time Dubai. This trip is certainly shorter than some have been (longest he's been gone is 2 weeks, thankfully), and the time change is actually perfect for the long nights (Tobes doesn't sleep for me. He will for Hubs... Or my mom... But that is a different rant). 11-hour difference means that I can text him at midnight, and it's 11am for him. But he is gone, and I miss him. I miss the random lunch hour calls. I miss him walking in the door at 5:35 and the shrieks from the kids as they run into his arms. I miss my partner-in-crime, especially at bedtime - he takes care of Tobes, I take care of Princess, and it's done! I miss hanging out with him on the couch after the littles are in bed as we talk about our days, plan for the weekend, or just joke around. I miss the hugs, the kisses, and the snuggles in bed (especially as we hit a cold-snap! He's my personal furnace!)

Princess and Tobes miss him. Tobes doesn't sleep for me, which means that not only is he missing his Daddy, but the nights are sleepless for him. Princess is a Daddy's girl through and through, and so it hits her hard, though she's gotten used to dropping him off at the airport, and skyping with him as time/internet accessibility permits. It's gotten easier as time has gone by, which is good, but it's also sad. I didn't think I'd be at the point where I'd be getting used to saying goodbye, sometimes every month (like in the stretch we are now), and sometimes with as little as 2 days notice. He isn't gone that often, especially compared to other families I know, but we also aren't set up for him to be gone for any length of time either. We didn't foresee this when we got married, almost 7 years ago. We thought it'd be a trip to the states now and then, but he's also seen China, India, Singapore, and now the UAE. Not to mention Scotland, England, and Ireland (which we scrimped and saved and Princess and I were able to tag along to Ireland!!)

But it's the trade-off. Hubs is smart, loyal, dedicated, and an incredibly hard worker who was fast-tracked into his current position which is taking him around the world. He is in a high position for his age, and he's got nowhere to go but up. He works for a company that has bent over backwards in the past as we've faced health concerns, and family emergencies. He has job security, and the other benefits mean that we can tag along on a trip of a lifetime to Ireland, Princess can take Irish dance, I can pursue my own dreams and goals regardless of the cost (both in time and money), and we can still plan our other trips for the family (we've got a Disneyland vacation in the works for next winter!) I am damn proud of him, and all he's accomplished in the almost 9 years we've been together. He's a brilliant man, and his brilliance has given him the opportunities we all get to experience. I'm not bragging, but I count my blessings and remember that this is the trade-off. And it is all worth it in the end.

But in the meantime, I miss my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment