Saturday, January 26, 2013

Catch My Breath

Hubs and Tobes are out shopping. Princess is coloring (we just finished jewellery making with one of her kits from Christmas), and I'm sitting with my tea by the fire. It's a rare weekend "off" for us, and we're embracing it with great joy and excitement!

Disneyland was quickly followed by Christmas, then back to school (plus new extra-curriculars - Princess and Tobes each started gymnastics, as well as music classes). Work opportunities knocked at my door again, and so this almost-SAHM-mommy found herself working full-time last week (which was exciting and fun for me, but I felt the ramifications from Tobes this week!) We finally got our 2nd Christmas tree (and Mickey Tree) down last week, as well as the remnants of our Christmas decorations... I normally LOVE keeping my decorations up as long as possible, but this was still ridiculous!)

It's been a busy time for sure. If any of you are following, you've probably noticed my Operation Domestication Blog has unfortunately fallen by the wayside. I do have some updates to give today, but all-in-all, the house is just in a general state of post-Christmas disarray - something that I will need to make a priority in February.

I need to find a way to balance myself better. I look ahead and think 3 days of work in a row are "fine", without thinking about how it'll affect the kids who aren't used to it (and then forget about needing some low-key downtime after). I keep the same social schedule I had when I was on maternity leave (and before Princess was in kindergarten), and I've got a list of classes I want the kids to take (gymnastics, wee collage, music, and dance for now, swimming will have to wait until spring break) that need to fit-in somehow. I'm better now than I was even 3 months ago, but I need to learn to use my calendar better, and I need to learn how to say "no" or "no for now".

But for now, I just need to catch my breath! :)

2 comments:

  1. I had an overworked schedule for a while and it took its toll on me! I learned to say "Let me think about that and get back to you." It works great for several reasons, (1) the person asking doesn't feel like you flat out quickly turned them down (my people pleasing side is satisfied)(2)If you do tell them no thank you later they know you really thought about it and (3) I was able to actually take the time to think about the activity etc. and see if it actually fit into my priorities or was it just one of those many things I feel people expect me to do. Good luck with the transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is brilliant, Rebecca!! People-pleasing is a huge problem for me to, especially when it comes to work. The field I work in is REALLY small, and I get scared that an opportunity passed-up today might not be there tomorrow.

    I have to add "Let me think about that" to my vocabulary! ;)

    ReplyDelete